Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Fruit On My Tree – The Second Secret

Over the years I have had an over exposure to people who talk big and do little. Talk is Cheap and so today I look for the fruit on the tree rather than try to figure out who is going to do what. I don’t pay much attention to those who say they are going RVP next week or SVP in 30 days. Actions speak louder than words!

In fact I get really concerned when someone starts to speak like that because I know that they are going to end up in that Black Hole where big talkers end up, never to be heard from again.

My mentor taught me a critical method to avoid the Big Talker Black Hole and that is the Second Secret:

2- Be Accountable

If you are an adult there is only one person responsible for your growth.

YOU!

You can make excuses like I initially did, like I had no time and so on or you can make a little time each day.

You can blame others or you can say, “If it is to be, it is up to me!”

If you find it difficult to be accountable to yourself then find someone who can hold you accountable. I chose to have my mentor hold me accountable. It was a painful process at first because he would ask if I had done what I said I was going to do.

He taught me that Accountability simply meant that I have the Ability to Account for my Words with Actions.

These were the 5 rules he put in place for me to be accountable:

1- PLAN – He who fails to plan… Plans to Fail!
2- ACT – Consistently and Persistently Act on your Plan.
3- TRUTH – Be truthful to yourself or to the person you have chosen to hold you accountable.
4- CONGRUENCY – Align your Words with your Actions and DO what you SAY you are Going To Do.
5- TRACK – Keep an Account of your progress or Track your Results. Remember rule # 3 when doing this and don’t fudge the numbers the way some people do when they are golfing.

When you have a Plan and you are Acting on it and when you are being Truthful and Doing What You Say you will Do and Tracking your progress, people above you and below you will know that they can count on you and depend on you. You will then be given increasingly more responsibility and with all of that will come abundance.

That is what I was taught and I know and believe it to be true.
Make it your motto to “Do then talk about what you have Done”!

No comments: